- Sunday Greeters Needed: Whether you’re a long-time member or a first-time visitor, when you walk in to St. Matthew’s you are welcomed with a “Good Morning!” from a smiling greeter. This important ministry needs more volunteers. If you’d like to help our church maintain its tradition of being a Certified Welcoming Congregation, please contact Rev. Grace Han
- Scripture Readers & Communion Servers Needed: We are looking for people of all ages to help lead us in worship as Scripture Readers and Communion Servers! Look for sign up sheets at the Welcome Center near the church entrance, or go directly to the online sign up links: Communion Sign Up or Scripture Readers Sign Up
Volunteer Opportunities for our Community
Food for Others Volunteer Opportunities:
St Matthew’s UMC Food for Others coordinator and point of contact: Bo Tumasz at 703-239-2936 or email@example.com.
- Gleaning food between 9 and 11 on Tue and Fri. GIANT AT UNIVERSITY MALL (across from George Mason University Braddock Road and 123) 10653 Braddock Rd Fairfax VA 22032 Warehouse/loading dock 703-352-5685. Park at the loading dock ramp in rear of store. The loading dock manager will show you where to sign a board before you leave. If there is inclement weather, call Ernest Boyd at 703-259-5514 or food for others. We pick up about 200 pounds of food, mostly bakery goods, each day. Unload at Food For Others Warehouse. Sign the weigh-in form, take the yellow receipt, and destroy it.
- Distributing food between 5:30 and 7 on Tue and Wed. Pickup food at Food for Others warehouse at 2938 Prosperity Avenue (between Route 50 and Lee Highway) about 5:20. Turn left after Rental Units behind warehouses. Back up van or SUV to loading dock. Ask for food for the distribution sites. Keep food for each site separated. Sign the accountability form. Drive to first site. Unload food onto walk. Keep people in an orderly line. Please ask, “How many people in your family (“Quantos personas en la familia”) and record the number of families and people on the accountability form. No other questions need to be asked. Start distribution of food no earlier than 6 P.M at first site and 6:30 at second site. Do not distribute to children under 16. Return undistributed food to yellow box outside warehouse and re-useable crates to warehouse loading dock when you can. Slide completed accountability form under warehouse door or email/call in the number of families and people by site and amount of any undistributed food to FFO at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-207-9173.
- Tuesday Food Distribution Sites Tue Site 1 at 6 PM: Columbia Commons: Corner of South Dickerson St and 8th Rd. Tue Site 2 at 6:30 PM: Barcroft: Recycling center parking lot, corner of Columbia Pike and Four Mile Run Dr/S. Buchanan St.
- Wednesday Food Distribution Sites (Wed Site 1 at 6 PM: Bailey’s: next to Bailey’s Shelter at 3525 Moncure Avenue off Columbia Pike. Wed Site 2 at 6:30 PM: Culmore: 6055 Glen Carlyn Drive, at rear of the Culmore shopping center on the sidewalk. Culmore is on Route 7 between Seven Corners and Bailey’s Crossroads.
- Food for Others 2938 Prosperity Avenue Fairfax, VA 22031 703-207-9173 www.foodforothers.org.
Fairfax CASA utilizes volunteers to work with abused and neglected children that have been referred by the Fairfax County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. Currently, they are receiving referrals once every 30 hours. Fairfax CASA currently provides pre-service and in-service training for our volunteers, while providing them with a supervisor who is knowledgeable and can give them one-on-one support in regard to each individual case. Our staff provides the volunteers with moral support, communication of updates and legal advice which helps them determine what is best for the child they represent. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Darcy Cunningham at (703) 273- 3526, ext. 11 or email@example.com.